Call for Volunteer Artists: Design & Build ReBuilding Center’s Outdoor Signage
The ReBuilding Center is putting out a call for artists for a design/build project to help us attract and welcome people to the ReBuilding Center and to be part of the reuse movement.
About the ReBuilding Center:
Every day, 8 tons of donated materials move through our store on North Mississippi Avenue, with proceeds benefitting our education, volunteer, and community-building programs. For example, last month we celebrated with partners the completion of four tiny homes—made of salvaged materials from RBC and with solar power—for the houseless at Dignity Village. We are continuing to see amazing growth of our ReFind Education classes (we recently added DIY Plumbing Repairs, Kinetic Toys, and Tool Sharpening to our skills-building offerings). The support of the ReBuilding Center community allows us to donate over $35,000 in salvaged materials to 200+ local schools and nonprofits every year.
About the Project:
Many people travel past our entrances every day and do not know that we are open to the public, seven days a week! We are in need of some eye-catching, new signage that helps people find their way into the ReBuilding Center’s treasure trove and showcases repurposed materials in a way that inspires reuse.
We are inviting artists to submit proposals for the design and build of four new signs for our four main entrances seen by thousands of visitors to our Mississippi Avenue Store, Education Shop, and offices. Each of the selected artists will design and build one sign.
If you are selected for one of these design/build projects, you will be awarded:
- A $200 ReBuilding Center (RBC) gift certificate
- RBC will showcase your artwork in a newsletter article (that goes out to our 7,000+ readers), on our social media, and website.
- A small placard placed near the artwork with your name/business
- The work will be installed at one of the exterior locations for all to see!
Scope of project:
- Each artist will be awarded one outdoor sign to design/build.
- Generally, should measure 3’x8’ (each sign location will require slightly different dimensions).
- Should be created using 80% ReBuilding Center materials (donated from RBC to you for the project).
- Must include RBC’s logo and specified language.
- Must be weather-proofed.
- Must be high-visibility (easy to see and read from a distance).
- Optional: incorporate lighting into your design for night time visibility (otherwise RBC will light your design)
If you are interested, please send a brief (under a paragraph) description of your idea for the project, a rough mock up sketch, and any supporting images that might be helpful to:
By: June 1st, 2018
We look forward to seeing your creative ideas!